From Kindertransport to NYC

 It was shortly after Kristallnacht that news arrived from my Uncle Freddy in Palestine that he was willing to provide the necessary British pounds for me to to join the Kindertransport for Jewish children.  When my parents were informed of my acceptance I learned how to sew in to all my clothing my identification monogram: EK.  We sat on our balcony with needle and thread sewing away every day.  Then came packing the suitcase time.  The most important item was a recipe book with photographs.  This was carefully placed in the bottom of the suitcase and protected by the monogrammed clothing.  I was given instructions by my parents that it must never be shown or given to anybody else.  Little did I know that some of those recipes would become the way we earned our family lively hood.  We became one of three bakeries in New York City to make Lebkuchen, a German specialty particularly made for Christmas.  I became a baker, a delivery boy and a salesman going to "high-priced" stores some of which are still in existence today.  A few years ago a woman from Taiwan incorporated her last name Lee and called the product "Leckerlee".  Very delicious and very expensive.  When you combine the German word "lecker" and Lee it's like a pun on words for it means "exquisitely good".

The Kindertransport Association (KTA) is offering their virtual company during the coronavirus crisis.  They also offer suggested on-line courses for both help and play.  Follow this link to Kindertransport Association website:  https://www.kindertransport.org/

Suggested Reading and Viewing:

The Christmas Cookie that Changed Jewish Lives, by Leah Koenig Leah 

Into the Arms of Strangers - stories of the Kindertransport



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some insight! The How-To's of Approaching Global Healing

The Multi-Dimensional Complex Components of Global Healing